Monday, June 2, 2014

Owen's 1st Birthday

I still cannot believe it but my little man turned 1 on May 28. I can't believe that a year has passed since he was born. I can still vividly remember every detail about that day. I can remember all the faces of my doctors and nurses. I can remember which room I was in, what I was wearing and the horrible smell of disinfectant used at the NICU. But most of all I can remember how I felt as soon as my baby was born. In that very instant he became the most important thing in the world and I could not believe the amount of love I felt for him instantly. I only got to hold him for a few seconds before the took him away to the NICU because he was 5 weeks early.

I didn't see him again for hours and when I finally did get to see him I was so weak and dizzy that I could barely even sit up. I do remember going to bed for an hour or two and waking up in a panic because my baby was all "alone" in the NICU so I rushed down there and I finally got to really hold him. He was in the NICU for 3 days and was perfectly healthy but he was having trouble eating. Little did I know at the time, his stubbornness at 2 days old would continue for the next year.

Had to have a feeding tube because he was not eating on his own.
When we brought him home he instantly became my best friend.


First smile

First time in his bassinet.


He has always been a smart boy. He is very observant and I can already tell that he tries to figure out how things work just like his dad. He is the funniest person I know and he already knows that he is cute and uses to his advantage. Especially with his Grandmas. He is definitely a boy! He likes head butting, and banging his head on the wall. Loves cars and trucks and dirt. He loves naps and books like his mom and I will often find him reading books to himself for half an hour or better at a time. He is freakishly strong and extremely stubborn. He is not walking yet but I know that it will be any day now. He has a flattened stuffed elephant that he is obsessed with and will not sleep without and he is really loving Mickey Mouse these days. I will do a post in the near future with a picture for each month of his life so you can see how much he has grown.

We had his birthday party on Saturday and it was so much fun. We just kept it to family because we did not want him to get overwhelmed by too many people. We had a BBQ in our backyard and gave him his own cake to smash. He did so well that day with skipping his nap and got some amazing gifts.




The best present of them all!


How amazing is this cake that my Mother in Law made?!

The Smash cake



I made the sign in the background using black poster board and chalk.


My parents with Owen

Owen and his Great Grandma (GG)

My sister and brother in law and my soon to be niece!

My brother and Owen

Brendon's sister and her boyfriend

Brendon and Owen and I

This perfectly describes our family!

All in all it was a great day and the perfect way to wrap up the first year of his life. It makes me a little bit emotional to think about my baby growing up but it also makes me so excited for the future!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment