Monday, June 23, 2014

Coastal Scents Haul

Recently I placed an order with Coastal Scents online. This is the first time I have ordered from them and their product selection reminds me somewhat of BH Cosmetics because they are very affordable and have a ton of palettes including create your own palettes. I placed my order on June 5th and received my order today so it did take quite a while to ship to Canada. 


This is what the box looked like which I thought was cute. It was a little squished and dented from transport but not bad enough to make me worry about the products. 


I had heard a lot of great things about the Revealed Palette and the newly released Revealed 2 Palette so I picked up both of those as well as two face brushes. 


In the box there was a little information pamphlet about their Project Ghana program which is basically a program to help women in Ghana get involved in Fair Trade with their natural products. Fair Trade is something that I am personally interested in so I will have to look into Project Ghana some more in the future. They also sent a cute "I <3 Makeup" sticker and a Coastal Scents business card. 


They also sent this little eye shadow sample quad. I was really excited about this and immediately swatched them because I was in love with the Peachy Keen shade. 


  
Ice Ballet, Peachy Keen, Bombay, Raisin Berry

The shadows felt nice. They felt smooth but a little chalky. All of them were very pigmented except for Bombay but it is a very nice light grey color which would be good for highlighting the inner corner. Ice Ballet and Peachy Keen are perfect colors for Spring and Raisin Berry will make a nice outer corner shade. 


I decided to order a couple face brushes. I ordered a Stipple brush and a Flat top brush. To be honest I don't remember why I decided to get these two brushes because I have a bunch of stipple brushes already and I am in love with my Sigma Flat Top Kabuki brush, so when I realized today that I ordered these ones I kind of wished that I had ordered maybe a Round top kabuki or something else that I don't have but oh well. That just means I will have to place another order. 



This is the Classic Stippling Synthetic Brush. When I took it out of the package it was pretty much flattened but I managed to round it out pretty quickly. It is very soft and thin and compares to my other Stipple brushes that I have. I used this to apply blush today and it worked wonderfully. $6.95.






This is the Bionic Flat Top Buffer. It is very similar to the Sigma F80 but It is softer and not as dense and firm. I honestly thought that I was going to be disappointed but this but I was wrong! I used this to apply my L'Oreal True Match foundation today and it applied it so well. It is super soft and blended my makeup in flawlessly with no effort. I am already a fan of this brush and will probably be using it every day in place of my Sigma one for a bit. $6.95.






Next I had to order the Revealed Palette. This palette has 20 eye shadows in it. It came in this cardboard box. $19.95.



This is what the Coastal Scents website had to say: 

      Expose your natural beauty with this exquisite collection of nude and metallic hues. These smooth,        powdered shadows blend seamlessly to create an array of day or evening looks. The slim palette           holds all twenty shadows, allowing for easy on-the-go application.



After opening the box, the palette was wrapped in a bubble wrap sleeve. The palette packaging looks exactly like the box did. It is made of cardboard and has a magnetic closure. I have heard people complain about the packaging because it is thin cardboard instead of tin but I actually like that it is. It might not be the safest palette for travelling but I like how light weight it is. I don't like however, that it doesn't have a mirror. Not that I ever even use the mirrors in my palettes but it is one of the things that I appreciate in a palette. I have heard many people compare the Revealed and Revealed 2 palettes to the Naked 1 and Naked 3 palettes. I do not own either of the Naked palettes yet (frown) but I have seen swatches and comparisons online and from what I can tell they are very similar. 


This palette has 20 shadows, 5 matte, and 15 shimmer/satin. The shimmery shadows are more chalky than the matte but they are all easily blendable and if you tap your brush after you grab the shadow then there isn't much for fallout. I love that this comes with a matte black shadow because that it hard to find and it is one of those essential shadows that everyone should have. It has a mix of warm and cool toned neutrals. I used the warm brown matte shade today mixed with a matte brown in the other palette to do my eyebrows and played around with the shadows on my eyes before I got ready for the day and they are all pretty pigmented except for the lightest shade but I bet on someone darker than me it would show up a lot easier. This palette is so universal and you can really do anything with it. You can do a very subtle basic eye or deepen it up and make it smokey or play up the coppery shades. I am a fan and I can't wait to play with it some more. 




  
Top Row. PS how gorgeous is that copper shadow third from the right?!
   
Bottom Row


I also ordered the Revealed 2 Palette which was released very recently. This palette also retails for $19.95.



The outer packaging is the exact same style as the Revealed palette and the palette itself was wrapped in bubble wrap as seen below. 


This is what the Coastal Scents website had to say about this palette:

       Influenced by the lustrous beauty of its predecessor, the Revealed 2 palette presents an ALL NEW       selection of twenty gorgeous mattes and shimmers.



The packaging is the exact same style and this one does not come with a mirror as well. 


This palette has more rose gold/pink neutrals in it which I am obsessed with lately. I was so freaking excited when I opened this palette because it is so gorgeous and totally the colors that I have been gravitating to lately. There are 7 matte shades in this one and the rest are shimmery/satin. The 4th shade from the left on the top is more sparkly and I am not a huge fan. It is pretty chunky and when I tried to apply it today it didn't blend out very good and there was a ton of fall out. But the other shades I am in love with. It has a lot of pink shadows and some are more gold or coppery and it has some warmer burgundy shades. I am seriously obsessed with this palette and I just got it. I think that I love this one a tad bit more than the Revealed palette simply because I am in love with rose gold. I wore this today on my eyes and the shadows all blended together beautifully and has lasted all day with no fading. 




  
Top Row

  
Bottom Row

So overall I am super happy with my order besides the fact that it took a while to deliver. I am happy that I purchased these before the Naked palettes and honestly I don't know if I will even bother with the original Naked palette now. I will probably still order the Naked 3 palette though because I am obsessed with rose gold anything and the case is enough to make me need to have it! I think that these are perfect for someone on a budget. I have tried out several inexpensive palettes and these are up there on the list based on quality. 

I also found this on the website which I was happy about:

      We do not test products on animals and only support suppliers that do the same. All the products we carry are produced cruelty free and no animals are harmed. Even though some companies still test on animals, we believe that it is unnecessary, unethical and is scientifically unreliable. We want to be sure that our products are safe on humans, so our products are rigorously assessed and tested by human volunteers.
As a company with many natural products, we also help our environment by recycling.

I do want to try the individual hot pots and some more brushes so I will keep you posted if I make another order. Leave me a comment if you have tried anything from Coastal Scents that you think I should try! 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment